The goal of every unit is to find and interesting article (or 2 or 3) aligned to an AP or IB theme and either pull structures from that article and/or think about what structures students need to know in order to have a discussion around that topic or a separate topic that would include the structures. The structures I am looking for are “upper level” structures; for example subjunctive, si clauses, compound tenses (etc.), as well as transition words. Keep in mind; the structures must still be the most frequent vocabulary.
Below is a video of me starting the lesson with my IB 2 students.
- Class/school survey about skipping classes and meals.
- A quick free write about what class they dislike and skip the most and what class they like the most and would never skip
- Movie talk with video about being a good/bad student
- Dictation of a mini story created from the PQA
- Photo description of certain meals or what students do when skipping class
- Read articles
- Write a letter (or any IB text type) to the principal about skipping classes and why
- El director de la escuela quiere bajar la cantidad de ausencias en la escuela. Te pide como piensas que la escuela puede bajar las ausencias. Escribe una carta formal aconsejando el director tus ideas en que la escuela puede hacer. (250-400 palabras)